Trieste (Trieste) - Palazzo Artelli built in 1906 in an eclectic style is divided into: basement level (various local cellars, boiler rooms etc), three floors above ground and attic floor, roof terrace with spectacular views of the city, marina and sea. The interiors are characterized by a rich decoration for the main rooms that serve as representation rooms. We find several historical themes (Roman, Byzantine and medieval history) made with boiserie, marble, statues, frescoes and mosaics. The building lends itself to being transformed into a tourist-receptive or managerial representative structure.
History: the building with architecture inspired by the Venetian seventeenth century is named after the client Filippo Artelli, who in 1904 entrusted the execution to the architects Giorgio Polli for the exterior and Antonio Bruni for the interior. Artelli, insurer and shareholder of the Tripcovich Navigation Company, also held the positions of chairman of the Banca Popolare di Trieste and the Società Triestina Tramway and was also director of the Cassa di Risparmio as well as municipal councilor. After several changes of ownership, the building was acquired by Inail in 1951 which, for years, rented the property to the University of Trieste. Students and professors who attended this evocative building recall the sandstone ground floor, the two upper floors in white Istrian stone and then the elegant wooden staircase through which one enters several rooms. Among these is the Roman Room covered with marble slabs and decorated with statues, where graduation exams took place for years. The frescoes were made by Eugenio Scomparini, the Byzantine decorations by Pietro Lucano and the sculptures, including the fountain in the atrium, by Romeo Rathmann.